Many people in Ireland provide care to a dependent relative and are unaware of the Dependent Relative Tax Credit that they may be able to claim. As such this tax credit compensates them for the care they give.

Who can claim?

  • You may claim this credit if you maintain a relative at your own expense. You can claim for your relative, or a relative of your spouse or civil partner.
  • You can claim the tax back if you are the one who requires care. For example, if you need your child, or the child of your legally recognised partner, to reside with you to provide care to you, you can then claim tax back.

Conditions to Qualify:

  • The relative must be incapacitated by old age/infirmity from maintaining him/herself and be legally recognised by a medical practitioner. 
  • The relative is a widowed father or mother of yourself, your spouse or civil partner or a parent of your civil partner who is himself or herself a surviving civil partner, regardless of age and state of health.
  • The income of the dependent relative does not exceed the specified amount.

How much is claimable?

  •  The tax credit available is €70.
  • If your dependent relative’s personal income exceeds €15,060 you are ineligible for the tax credit. 

For more information on how you can claim the Dependent Relative Tax Credit, text/call 087 0969950, email or complete our online application from here.

Apply Now

Claim Your Tax Refund Now

Useful Irish Tax Facts:

  • The Irish tax year runs from 1st January to 31st December
  • You can go back 4 years for your Irish tax refund
  • The average Irish PAYE tax refund is €1080
  • We also provide Universal Social Charge (USC) refunds