Many people are unaware of the Home Carer’s Tax Credit or unsure if it applies to them.
Who can Claim?
- A couple in a marriage or civil partnership where one spouse or civil partner cares for one or more dependent persons at home.
- The spouse or civil partner is jointly assessed for tax
- Home Carer’s income must not exceed €7,200 for the tax year.
- must not be a spouse or civil partner,
- is a child for whom Department of Social Protection Child Benefit is payable,
- is a person aged 65 years or over,
- is a person who has a physical/mental disability requiring care
- must normally live with the couple or if they are relatives they can live outside your home in a neighbouring residence within 2 kilometres of claimant.
The amount of Relief due:
- Full tax credit due if the Home Carer’s is not more than €7,200.
- A reduced tax credit is due if your income income is between €7,200 – €10,400 (2020).
- If you earn over €10,400 then you are not due the credit.
- The Home Carer Tax Credit rate is €1,600 for 2020.
For information on how you can claim the Home Carer’s Tax Credit contact us on 087 096 9950. You can also complete our online application form here.
Claim Your Tax Refund Now
Useful Irish Tax Facts:
- The Irish tax year runs from 1st January to 31st December
- You can go back 4 years for your Irish tax refund
- The average Irish PAYE tax refund is €1080
- We also provide Universal Social Charge (USC) refunds